Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Big Wheels Keep On Turnin'

This year, I've signed up for six races plus two events. One of these events has a very cool name: the Montreal Double Double. We do two double centuries (that's 200 miles before nap time) separated by a day in Montreal. Informed sources tell me I need to rest with my legs up and schedule a massage for that off day. These same sources tell me that if the wind is at our backs, we'll be fine in Montreal. If the wind is in our faces, I might want to book an extra long massage and cut back on the pale ales that night. It's too far to ponder in greater detail at this point.

I've almost never been competitive in sports. Some would say MORE than sports, but, hey, I'm trying to be KIND to myself. I've raced in a few triathlons, but that was in the early 80's. That led to getting married, and, well, enough said about the 80's. I've run in road races, but that was also years back. Cycling races are more challenging due to the equipment, the ability to REALLY hurt yourself and the other riders (although I don't think about this on the bike it seems), and the overall preparation. At least I think so. They're almost always long distance, too.


I've tried to race and ride at this level off and on for years. Talk Talk Talk - yes, that was my middle name. This month, I got serious about this and hired a cycling coach. A very scientific cycling coach who has already spun my head around a few times. My workouts are sane and tough. They're going to get a lot tougher, and we'll see if I can hack it. I rode 5 workouts for 6 hours total last week, all indoors on my Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Trainer. At least my indoor trainer is cool. That green color really wakes you up at 4:30 in the morning. Coffee not required. This week has more riding, and the riding time will increase week to week for a while. I also started a Metabolic Typing Program recently. I'll share more about that in the future.

Gotta get some sleep soon. Up early every day now: Shoulder Rehab Exercises (what fun would all this be if I was 100% healthy!?), an hour recovery ride and then off to work for some cube time.

ISOIA,

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment