Monday, May 11, 2009

Saturday Ride Postscript

I forgot to mention the coyote I passed on the Cape Cod Rail Trail (CCRT) in Brewster. I'm always on the lookout for stray dogs...and owners who let their dogs run off leash. (I'm all for doggie freedom. It's a little dangerous for the dogs to be off leash when Ms. or Mr. Bright Colors With Whirring Wheels goes by. I'd probably lunge, too.) I slow down when I pass any dog, on or off leash.

So I'm looking up the trail and wondering who this German Shepard belongs to. No one was in sight. As I get closer, the "dog" looks a little smaller and is skulking a bit. When I get within 15 feet, I see it's a short haired coyote. It moved to the side of the trail (really a 6-8 foot wide paved surface) as I slowed and passed. We gawked at each other and I accelerated away. I looked back and he went off into the short brush, probably looking for a mid afternoon snack.

I warned the dog walkers I passed for the next 2 miles. Some of them must have been tourists as they seemed very surprised. I forgot about it until I finished the ride. I've probably ridden 200 miles on the CCRT over the past 2 years, and this is the first coyote I've seen.

Cheers,

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment